Followers

Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Story of The Icon

Okay so here's the explanation of my obsession with my blog's icon: the naked woman with wings. I thought of getting it as a tattoo. But seeing as I'm 30 and I still don't have a tattoo, I'm thinking it's not going to happen. Anyway, this picture has a few different meanings to me. It's the cover art for a Nirvana album titled "In Utero".


I have a lot of favorite bands. Nirvana is a special one that I carry in my heart. Kurt Cobain was a really haunting and heart felt song writer.

I felt a lot of my pain through music. It's a really constructive and beautiful way to express yourself, especially if you play a musical instrument. You don't even have to be particularly good at it. You just have to enjoy it. Nirvana's music really summed up a rough time in my life when I was a teenager. I really gravitated to that kind of music. It let me know I wasn't the only person in the world who was sad.

Now, as I've grown, this icon also represents how I see myself. I am open and honest: almost transparent at times. The female in this photo is also open and exposed. The female also has wings which makes her appear as an angel. I relate to this because I've always been a caretaker: Taking care of my siblings when I was very young. Taking care of disabled foster siblings. Taking care of the elderly. Working with mentally handicapped individuals. Taking care of my own and countless other people's children. I find that I gravitate toward people that need cared for. Some call that co-dependency, while I call it purpose.

I thought I would share that with you all. In case you thought it was an arbitrary image. Or better yet, so I don't get sued by Courtney Love or the remaining members of Nirvana. Although, that will be the day I'll know I've made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment